Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Easy 'Q

Let me start by saying that I know the difference between barbecuing and grilling, and I don't consider propane a fit fuel for either. I have a Weber grill and a New Braunfels barbecue (I've had it so long, that I didn't know they've gone out of business! Apparently it's now made by Char-Broil). My personal record for a single batch is 40+ pounds of pork shoulder, cooked for 16 hours, shredded by hand, and dressed with my own sauce. Wonderful stuff, if I do say so myself.

That introduction is an attempt to hold at bay any purists who will rightly object to calling this barbecue. I will merely suggest that this recipe is an option for folks who don't have a proper barbecue pit or the time it takes to tend one. The product won't technically be barbecue, but it will be good!

Start with some country style ribs. This is a cut of pork that comes from the upper rib end of the shoulder. Dust them with your favorite dry rub, or try mine (see the recipe, below).

Country style ribs, dusted with dry rub
Place them over medium coals, turning them so the surfaces get some color. The aim is not to cook them, just for flavoring.
Flavoring the pork.
Once all four sides are colored, transfer them to your "Grok Pot."

Ready for sauce
Add your favorite barbecue sauce, or try my recipe, below.
Sauced and ready for some long slow cookin'
Put the cover on the crock pot and cook on low for 12 hours, or more.
Done! Ready for shredding and some more sauce
Once they're done, remove them from the pot, pour the sauce into Pyrex or other heat-safe container. You can remove the fat that floats to the top with a spoon or place the container in the refrigerator and remove the fat after it solidifies. 

Enjoy!

Dry Rub

2 Tbsp Paprika
2 tsp seasoned salt
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp chili powder

Mix thoroughly. I use an old spice bottle as a shaker bottle for applying the dry rub.

Barbecue Sauce

This is the recipe for Memphis Magic sauce from Cheryl and Bill Jamison's  Smoke and Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue. This is my favorite book on barbecue. If you're only going to own one book on the subject, I think this should be it.

3 Tbsp butter, preferably unsalted
1/4 cup minced onion
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Dash of Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until they begin to turn golden. Stir in the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low, and cook for approximately 20 minutes. If you want the sauce thicker, cook longer. Keeps well in the refrigerator. Freezes well, too.

4 comments:

  1. This item sounds excellent, but the main reason I'm posting is that I'm overall enjoying your blog and your commentary maximally. Good work! (And yes, country-style ribs from pork is one of my fave pork cuts, always glad to have additional options for cooking them!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, goatsandgreens, for your comments and for listing Grass Based Health in your blog list! Many years ago, I grew up in Southeast PA. My mother's roots go back a long way in Berks County ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm i have to say this looks yummy!

    Thanks for sharing
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete